By Julie Johansen
The Rock Canyon Trail Camp of the Daughters of Utah Pioneers recently hosted a rededication of the “The Social Hall” monument on 100 South and 100 West in Orangeville. Many members of the camp as well as county company members, fourth grade students of Cottonwood Elementary and guests were in attendance.
The dedicatory prayer was offered by Clyde Luke. A short opening meeting was hosted in the church to review the purpose of the monument. A history of the Old Social Hall was presented by Talma Peacock, and also on display were histories by Myrleen Bean and Donna Sitterud.
The Old Social Hall was built on this spot in 1888. This hall became the gathering place for all of the social gatherings in Orangeville for 63 years until it was razed in 1952. The LDS Church purchased the hall in 1927. The first monument erected on the spot was in 1955.
Thanks was given to Rodney Cox who did the cement work on the new monument as well as Laurie and Pat Jones, Talma Peacock, Cynthia Grant and others who donated funds to help with the rebuilding.
Following the dedication, members of the camp then welcomed guests back inside for refreshments and to spend time looking at the displays and items that will be placed in a time capsule at the base of the new monument.