The Southeast Utah Health Department took to social media Thursday evening and into Friday morning to inform the public on a recent health risk at Scofield Reservoir.
Southeast Health Environmental Health Director, Orion Rogers, issued an advisory warning for Scofield Reservoir on Thursday evening. “A Warning Advisory indicates a moderate relative probability of acute health risk, cell count density of 20,000 -10 million cells per milliliter, microcystin levels of 4-2,000 micrograms per liter (µg/L), or anatoxin-a levels above non-detect,” stated the Facebook post.
After tests were conducted by the Utah Department of Environmental Quality, there is a presence of cyanobacteria from a harmful algal bloom that has the potential to contain toxins.
It is advised that individuals do no swim or water ski at the popular reservoir. The Facebook post also advised not to drink the water directly from the lake, keep pets and livestock away, clean fish well, discard of fish guts and avoid areas of scum while boating.
The health department then took to Facebook once more to clarify that city drinking water and PRWID supplied water is indeed 100% safe to consume. Canal water is also unaffected by any residual bloom at this point.
“Toxins right now are extremely low but conditions are right for that to potentially change. For that reason we’re continually monitoring and testing the water and will post updates when available.”
Symptoms from exposure can include the following in humans: rashes, hives, runny nose, sore throat, vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, etc. Symptoms in pets and livestock can include weakness, staggering, difficulty breathing and convulsions.
Any individuals who may believe that they are experiencing symptoms due to exposure should contact the Utah Poison Control Center at (800) 222-1222 immediately.
For more updates on this advisory, please continue to check back to ETV 10 News and follow the health department on Facebook.